Ihsan

Monday, October 03, 2005

Uniformity vs. Unity

Flipping through the stations the other day, I passed through the local Christian station. There was a pastor/preacher talking about how there was a lot of uniformity but little unity today in Christian churches. He also mentioned that they are not the same.

Uniformity - Everyone wearing the same "uniform." "Wearing the same clothes." Everyone having the same rituals, so to speak. outwardness/external.

Unity - That feeling of togetherness. That we are one community despite our differences. inwardness/internal.

Why am I mentioning this? (And it's not to admit that I watch, even for a moment, the christian channel.)

From ISNA this evening:
UPDATE @ 9:45PM CST: Members of the Fiqh Council, National Islamic Shura Council and Muslim astronomical consultants, in a conference call on Monday evening, agreed that there were no confirmed reports of moon sightings in North America on Monday, October 3. Therefore, Sha'ban will complete 30 days and Ramadan will begin on Wednesday, October 5, insha'Allah.

From my local MSA/Mosque webpage:
Ramadan will IN SHAA ALLAH begin tomorrow, Tuesday, October 4, 2005.


Umm....I live an hour away (to the north) of the ISNA. I don't get it.

OK, there is uniformity (with Saudi Arabia), but no unity (with the North American community).

Do you know how this makes me feel?
Disconnected.
Isolated.
Frustrated.
Angry (astaghfirallah).

This is not how I want to feel during Ramadan. I want to feel that connectedness with the American Ummah. I want to feel great during Ramadan. Thankful. Not angry.

It is confusing this just-slightly-over-a-year-into-being-a Muslima's already maxed-out brain.

Astaghfirallah. Astaghfirallah. Astaghfirallah.

Insha'allah there will be a day where we would all be on the same page in North America. But "unfortunately" I will begin fasting tomorrow (Tuesday), unlike nearly the rest of the country.

And God forgive me for being so angry right now.

5 comment(s):

  • I've completely given up on caring. Honestly, I just don't are anymore. I look at it this way, Eid is three days, at some point we will all be sharing this time together. My own school of thought/scholars I follow, to a degree, has solved this problem though by not relying on moonsightings. Ramadhan begins when the moon is born,period.

    I think it's ok for us to start on different days and just accept it as one of those things. This isn't to dimish your feelings AT ALL, just to offer a diff. perspective that may be offer you a lil less aggravation.


    By Blogger UmmAli, at 10/03/2005 08:45:00 PM  

  • I can get that, just a little bit.

    But I guess I have big problems with this local community in general, and this is just another aspect that makes it worse.

    It's like a slight change in latitude/longitude (nearly negligable) can make a difference of one day. and it's really based on ideology.


    By Blogger anthrogal, at 10/03/2005 08:59:00 PM  

  • Salam
    Here in Egypt it started today. The announcement came from the Dar el Ifta and they said they saw the moon in Tushka. How come they saw it and the Saudis/Americans did not? However, whatever works. I also have stopped caring abotu the politics - governments are almost by definition not sincere about religious stuff. The problem in the US though is that the Muslims there get both messages and get confused about which day is correct. I think both will be accepted by God, al Rahman al Raheem.


    By Blogger Anna in PDX, at 10/03/2005 11:13:00 PM  

  • Whether or not the Saudis sighted the moon, they started fasting today, and by extension, so is my community.

    I will clarify some of my points later on, since i wrote this during my anger period. I didn't say everything clearly.


    By Blogger anthrogal, at 10/04/2005 05:04:00 AM  

  • You're right. It makes no sense. Why not just as well call up Malaysia or Iran or Brunei to check whether THEY saw the moon or not. Yet we have religious leaders, not just masses, who follow this method of observing Ramadan/Eid. A sad statement on our religious methodology.

    By Blogger koonj, at 10/16/2005 08:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home